Did you know that, in general, 1/3 of adults in America struggle with anxiety at some point in their lives? Anxiety can creep in and take over your life without you really knowing it. It's important to stay in tune with your inner self to maintain balance and notice when there might be a problem.
With that being said, let’s break down what true anxiety is and natural tips and strategies to help you cope.
Anxiety. Anxiety is the reaction to situations perceived as stressful or dangerous or unfamiliar situations. It’s the sense of uneasiness, distress or dread you feel before, during or after a significant event.
If your anxiety is severe or causes you to panic, be sure to see a health professional. However, for day-to-day anxiety, there are natural ways you can reduce anxiety by yourself.
Here are some herbs, tips, and techniques you can use to quiet your anxiety:
1. Passionflower. Passionflower is a popular herb that has been known to help reduce anxiety. For many, passionflower is as effective as some prescription drugs. It also helps with insomnia since anxiety and insomnia often go hand in hand.
2. Proper Nutrition. Sometimes you may forget about the intense connection between how you feel and what you put into your body. Simply paying attention to getting a natural, well-balanced diet can help you reduce anxiety.
3. Time Management. A busy schedule can cause anxiety. Maybe it's time to drop some activities or be more efficient when managing your time. Remember to schedule time for yourself to focus on activities that you enjoy and relax you.
4. St. John's Wort. St. John's Wort has been used as a supplement for centuries. It's a natural herb that can help with both depression and anxiety. It's best used for mild to moderate cases. The only way you will truly know they level of your anxiety is to be assessed by a healthcare professional.
5. Acupuncture. For those of you who are squeamish with needles, let me reassure you that these are not hypodermic needles (the ones used to give shots), these are small hair-thin needles. These thin needles are used to relax your muscles. Acupuncture is an ancient art that can reduce your anxiety by helping you to feel calm and relaxed.
6. Worry Time. If you feel that all you do is worry, it's time to pick a worry time. Yep, you heard correct, choose a period of the day - maybe 5 to 5:15 PM - where you allow yourself to worry as much as you want. Worrying is simply not allowed or tolerated during the rest of the day.
Every time you feel worries arise during other times of the day, tell yourself that the worries will just have to wait for your worry time. You'll soon find that you won't really worry all that much during your worry time!
7. Exercise. Studies have shown that regular exercise can reduce anxiety.
Exercise produces serotonin (the "feel good" hormone), relieves stress, increases oxygen levels throughout the body, and relaxes your muscles. If you’re asking what do she mean by the feel-good hormone. Think about how your body responds when you look at a picture of someone you like. What happens? Typically, you smile. That’s your brain releasing the feel-good hormone serotonin.
8. Meditation. Pick a time each day when you can meditate. Find a quiet, relaxing place and focus on your breathing while you relax. Next, immerse yourself in visualizing that you are living the life you desire. Meditation can relax, inspire, and motivate you.
9. Valerian Root. This is another natural anxiety herb. It's an excellent choice if you also have trouble sleeping. Valerian root can be taken as a tea or a capsule and should be taken approximately two hours before you go to bed.
10. Self-Hypnosis. Hypnosis can be a great way to relax and get in touch with your subconscious. Self-hypnosis enables you to perform techniques on yourself instead of requiring someone else's assistance.
Whether you choose to work with a therapist, a natural herb, movement, or life change to reduce your anxiety, you're making a good decision when you choose to go with a natural solution to your problem.
Check out the Calm App
Check out the Happify App
This FREE (and highly detailed) guide will give you 3 simple practices to use daily to inspire, uplift and clear your mind so you can power through the day with purpose and passion.
This Free (and highly detailed) guide will give you 3 simple practices to use daily to inspire, uplift and clear your mind to power through each day with purpose and passion.